Monday, April 13, 2009

I've Been Everywhere...

First off, to anyone who reads this blog with any kind of scant regularity, I apologize for dropping off the face of the Earth for the past few months. As you can all guess, life happens and like most things in life, no news is good news.

I got an amazing acting job that has taken me on tour around the Midwest, South, and New England and so my Internet access has not been as regular as when I'm home and I generally end up spending my time talking to Kelby or other friends on the phone. I've been on the road since February. (Which is also a long time to not see my man!)

But I haven't forgot about this blog, in fact I've been writing a few on paper while we're being driven from town to town, so I have a small back log of entries I need to put finger to keyboard and transfer over.

After this, expect more "Gay Man's Rants" and also a couple "Small Town Gay Bar Reviews" since being on the road has allowed me to travel all over! (Who knew Tennessee had such a rockin' gay scene?!)

In the meantime, here is a blog I wrote back in the end of January about an experience I witnessed with a disgruntled state employee.

Oh... the DMV.

Now, just to be sure, everyone has to go to the DMV right? Not just freaks and crazies, but normal everyday people? I mean, I was there. It stands to reason normal people go there to. So... why is it that it seems like only freaks and crazies are there?

I was there yesterday trying to get a New York Drivers Licence (I've been hanging on to my California one for the past 2 years, and decided that it was time to fully commit to being a New Yorker and have the ID to prove it.)

The first odd thing was there is a sort of "screening" line, where you had to stand in one line to get a number, and then you're directed to another line that will actually help you with what you need. Anyway to make a long story short, the woman who was heading the first "screening" line was obviously not having a good day.

The man in front of me was next and she asked him what he was there at the DMV for, so she could direct him to the proper line. He said he was renewing his license. She asked if he'd be taking a new picture. The man joked and said, "No. I don't need a new picture. I'm still pretty."

Now this was an older (not pretty) man, who was just trying to be funny and cheer up this woman who looked obviously haggard and depressed.

She stared at him blankly and said "No. You're not pretty. You're handsome. Woman are pretty and men are handsome. Unless you're a he/she, in which case I will still call you pretty."

The man kinda laughed it off and just left, not knowing what exactly to say, and went to stand in the next line.

I was so irked by what she said.

That kind of thinking, where gender roles and language are so defined, while isn't explicitly hurting anyone, in the end does more damage than good. I was a little mad at myself for not saying anything to her. What could I have said? "Boys can be pretty and girls can be handsome if they want."

I can only imagine the look she would have given me.

3 comments:

Two Chicks Nest said...

Glad that you are still blogging. I look forward to upcoming "gay man rants." Congrats on the job!

christina said...

nice to see you back...looking forward to posts!

and congrats on your new job!

Adam said...

Thanks!! ttys.